GOAL #1 – Raise Miss. teacher starting salaries to regional average in 2 years
Get to Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) starting salary average within 2 years. (Current: $35,890)
Get to Southeastern average salary in 4 years. (Current: $47,074)
The average teacher salary of our surrounding states is approx. $4,200 more than Mississippi’s. Every $500 increase is $26M from the general fund; this would be about $52m/year for 4 years. $224M total
- YEAR 1 – $1,500
- YEAR 2 – $1,000
- YEAR 3 – $1,000
- YEAR 4 – $800
GOAL #2 – Recruit new teachers to critical shortage areas
- $10,000 bonus for new teachers to target critical shortage areas in certain subjects and geographic locations (STEM, Miss. Delta, etc.).
GOAL #3 – Pay Mississippi National Board teachers the highest supplement in the nation and become the #1 per capita ranked state for National Board Certified Teachers
- Increase supplement from $6,000 to $10,000
- Pay teachers to successfully complete components of the certification. Work with NBCT to create an endowment that would prevent teachers from having to pay upfront costs.
- Promote NBCT certification more aggressively within the teaching community to ensure that all teachers know of the opportunities and incentives that come with certification.
GOAL #4 – Increase pay & innovation at higher education institutions
- Raise professor pay across the board at community colleges
- Incentivize professors to teach at local high schools in critical subject areas.
- Reward IHL institutions for producing high quality School of Education graduates who teach in Mississippi.
GOAL #5 – Double investment in Teacher Supply Funds again
- Increase teacher supply funds from $12M to $24M.
GOAL #6 – Increase investment in Early Learning Collaboratives
- Significantly increase our investment in Early Learning Collaboratives to ensure early learning and preschool access for as many Mississippians as possible.
GOAL #7 – Create Teacher Advisory Council
- Advise the Governor by June 2020 on laws needed to be changed regarding testing, discipline, & home rule.